Friday 26 April 2013

Of tunes that pop out of nowhere


The topic for my first post arises from a thought that always enchants me: How do particular tunes stick in our heads and arise in our minds during the most unexpected times?

The other day my husband happened to be rhyming words to a tune that sounded familiar and annoying! I thought it might have been a silly tune he picked up from a random jingle or one of those newbie hits of today that he might've heard at work; so I ignored it and went about the usual mundane chores of practice, teaching and house cleaning.

A few days later, he was singing the same tune to rhyming words again! Back from a tiring day, I just had to know what the original tune was! Guess? It was two phrases from the Flower duet from Delibes' Lakmé! That had me in splits as I'd have never guessed it out of context from the whole song! Just so that you know, he hadn't heard that piece in over a year now!

There something magical about how a simple melody can spark up your mind anytime! I truly appreciate the hard work and dedication of composers, specifically for this post : Mozart, Schubert, Delibes, Schumann, Weil, Prokofiev...the list goes on. For today, these are the composers who spark our life, whose tunes catch us while cooking, cleaning, gaming, biking etc. I can't wait for the hundreds we will spark up to on this journey on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment